Giving The Gift of Food

by bkhoury on December 22, 2011

As we prepare to travel over the holidays, we decided to celebrate the “coming of Santa” a little early this year.  And yes, it was the best year yet with my three year old in awe over the fact that he timidly had asked Santa just a few weeks prior for a train roundhouse and some troublesome trucks.  (Ryan and I both expressed slight relief that our son when confronted with a strange guy in a red suit found him creepy enough to have major reservations about getting too close.) And when Santa came, he actually LEFT them under the tree (thank you grandma and grandpa).

But Will struggled with the idea of GIVING gifts to others.  He helped me pick out some charity gifts, but couldn’t conceptualize that not everyone is as fortunate as him.  We even tried to figure out what Daddy might like and his excellent suggestion was pants. But when it came time to pick something out, it turns out Daddy would really just prefer some more trains.

It wasn’t until we started making cookies for Santa and left some carrots for the reindeer that the Christmas spirit took hold.  We wrapped up a few extras for the neighbor friends and Will really enjoyed the idea that they would have their very own cookies.  When he helped me make quick bread for his teachers, he was proud to put his name to his creation.

Maybe it’s because food is a primal necessity, but I find my kids are able to relate to the giving of it so much better than a “thing” that they covet as well.  The process of making the food is cherished quality time and fills my kids with such pride.  It doesn’t need to be fancy.  From the simple popping a bagel in the toaster together to pouring milk, cracking eggs and mixing cookies, even my two year old can get involved.  It all fosters independence and if you’re giving what you’re making away, or serving it to a special daddy, it takes on all the more importance.  This week’s menu includes easy recipes that are great when you have people in your home, and a great opportunity to involve your kids in the sharing of food process.  We hope your home is filled with simple, uncomplicated and spontaneous memories this holiday season.

Love, Small Helpings.

• Hey men and women! Hope everyone received a wonderful Xmas. I personally have spent some fantastic moment with my relatives away from classes and composing term papers. free essays aided everyone quite much with wife of bath essays

By PaulHarl on December 30, 2011 at 08:45 AM
  • Wonderful writing about giving the gift of food!! Such a complicated topic you made easy through and I loved reading this article. Thanks

By Kristy Collingwood on May 30, 2012 at 04:06 AM
  • Wonderful reflective essaygiveaway! It’s really a complicated conception for the food issue you made easy through and I loved by reading through this article. Thanks! smile

By Milla Symonds on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • I don’t think that the idea of giving food as gift is appreciated by all for the importance of the basic need of it only rather it’s a very different option from others choices. I also like the idea. Thanks for sharing your creative (which is supportive, too wink) thought.

By Doodson Max on August 17, 2012 at 06:52 AM
  • Been reading this site for awhile now, always has really good posts and topics please keep it up! loads of blogs are going under lately from lack of new posts etc Lipozene

By Lipozene on August 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM
  • Hey that was great to read. Thanks for the great post .Loved every part of it.

By Colin1 on October 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • Hello ...cheers for the very informative post .I’m really Gallery happy I found it on bingKeep up the wonderfull work because I for sure will check it out for updates

By Gallery on October 28, 2012 at 01:37 AM
  • It’s quite hard to find a good site. And I think I am lucky tantric enough to have come here. The posts are doing great and full of good insights.

By Gallery on October 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM
  • Passing and adding through worthy subject, i am sure that you focused all aspects with real experiences. It’s nice that you worked well and gave good material over here. Laveneder Salve

By akkonm on November 10, 2012 at 08:16 AM
  • lehenga
    “Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

By lehanga on November 19, 2012 at 05:04 AM
  • It is the most amazing article ever read on this earth. Guess what!!! Today for the first time I read your article and in one shot I liked your article and the way you write

By 1997 Honda Civic Headlights on February 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • stiri din romania

By SaHSpereSpand on February 26, 2013 at 07:52 AM
  • Remember my personal information
  • Notify me of follow-up comments?

Get Social!